Oasis of the Seas in Miami After Multi-Million Dollar Refurbishment
Once grabbing headlines as the world’s largest cruise ship, Oasis of the Seas just completed a $165 million refurbishment. It’s not easy to imagine what could be added to a ship that was launched only 10 years ago and at that time was the #1 game-changing cruise ship in the industry.
It was so exciting when Oasis of the Seas was repositioned to Port Canaveral back in 2017. In fact, it was so exciting that I celebrated a milestone birthday on it with several friends and family members.
When I heard that Oasis of the Seas would be included in Royal Caribbean’s Royal Amplification refurbishment initiative, I couldn’t imagine what could be refurbished, other than the usual soft goods like upholstery, bedding, draperies and things like that. But that wouldn’t add up to $165 million.
What’s new on Oasis of the Seas After Refurbishment
There’s a lot of new additions to this 5,400-passenger behemoth. During the makeover, Royal Caribbean installed the cruise line’s first barbecue restaurant called, Portside BBQ. Another industry first; the Ultimate Abyss, now the tallest water slide at sea. A new music venue and a revamped Caribbean pool deck.
“To see a 63-day, $165 million effort come to life on a ship as iconic as Oasis of the Seas is remarkable,” said Michael Bayley, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “Our guests–new and fans alike–are in for an Oasis that takes family vacations to the next level. With exciting, new adventures and signature experiences, this ship is every bit as original as the day she debuted 10 years ago, almost to the day.”
Details for Oasis’ $165 million Royal Amplification
Top Deck Thrills
- The Ultimate Abyss – With a 10-story drop and the tallest slide at sea>
- The Perfect Storm – A trio of multistory waterslides known as Typhoon, Cyclone and Supercell located on the pool deck.
- A reimagined, Caribbean pool deck – They’ve added Splashaway Bay kids aquapark, Royal Caribbean’s signature poolside bar The Lime & Coconut, hammocks, casitas, in-pool loungers and live music.
- Portside BBQ – Royal Caribbean’s first barbecue restaurant serving authentic barbecue dishes from across the United States.>
- Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade – With 80 big-screen TVs, tabletop games, arcade classics, an Owner’s Box VIP area, bar fare and beer.
- Bionic Bar by Makr Shakr – Robotic bartenders run the place
- El Loco Fresh – Mexican street fare to go, includes made-to-order tacos, burritos, quesadillas, mini salads and more.
- Sugar Beach – Get a sugar rush from over 220 types of candy and a walkup ice cream window.
Show-stopping Entertainment & Hot Spots
- Aqua80 – Oasis debuts a brand-new aqua show in their outdoor Aqua Theater featuring high dives and acrobatics to iconic tunes from the 80s.
- One Sky – A new, full-scale original Royal Caribbean production takes center stage in the Royal Theater.
- Spotlight Karaoke – The refurbishment included a dedicated karaoke venue with a main stage or two private rooms.
- Music Hall – Royal Caribbean’s first live music with cover bands, an expansive dance floor, a pool table and intimate lounge seating across two levels.
Family Adventures Await
- All-new Adventure Ocean – Interactive, personalized and immersive experiences, the major makeover revamped the entire space.
- Social298 – A 360-degree teen lounge with gaming consoles, music, movies, places to hang out and a new outdoor deck, The Patio.
- Glow-in-the-dark laser tag – In Clash for the Crystal City, the theme is about two teams on the brink of extinction– the Yetis and Snowshifters–that go head to head to take control of the mythical ice city.
- Royal Escape Room – Mission Control: Apollo 18 – You walk into a replica of the original Apollo Mission Control Room, take your stations, and maneuver a series of mind-bending puzzles to successfully launch Apollo 18.
Part of Oasis of the Seas Royal Amplification refurbishment includes the Royal Caribbean International mobile app. Guests are able to check in for their cruise from their phone, use the digital stateroom key and in-app TV control remote features. Book dining, show and shore excursion reservations.
Oasis of the Seas sails seven-night Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises from Miami. In May 2020, Oasis of the Seas moves to New York City (Bayonne, NJ) where it will be the largest cruise ship to sail from the metropolitan area.